Saturday, August 20, 2011

Best brown of my season so far! (yeah, it's been a good week)

Once again the title says it all!  On friday afternoon i caught the biggest brown of the season!

I had a dinner to go to so i wasn't going to be able to night fish so i decided that i should fish while i can and I ended up on the stream at about 3pm.  It was sunny and pretty warm and the water was clear.  I started out with streamers and moved a real nice rainbow, probably about the same size as the one i caught earlier in the week, and i also had a real nice brown chase after a small wooly bugger.  The brown seemed very interested so i kept switching flies and casting back to where he was holding.  I didn't see him again until i switched to a foam ant.   I casted above where he came out after my wooly bugger and as it drifted the water boiled underneath the fly, unfortunately no take.  I quickly tied on a grifiths gnat trailer and continued to cast to where i thought the fish was.  The fish was holding in a patch of weeds near the far side of the creek under a bridge.  I made a great cast all the way to the other wall of the bridge and as it drifted I was thinking that if that cast wasn't going to catch him, nothing would.  It drifted past the hole and nothing.   about 4 feet past where i thought the fish somehthing went for my ant,  I set the hook and judging by the take I was a little disappointed since it wasn't the fish i was looking for.   All of a sudden the fish shot upstream taking drag off my 6 wt.   thats when i knew it was the big fish i saw earlier.  I was pretty excited to have tricked him and after a nice fight i got him in the net.  This is my biggest brown in wisconsin waters.  The fish made a tiny splash at the fly almost like a 6inch trout would do, i guess it just shows that you can't tell the size of the fish from the bite.

as big as the net!

he was a colorful one 
starting to get that mean look

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the big brown. Beauty of a fish. Healthy looking too with that humpback of power. Nicely done. Tight Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trout, He was a pretty healthy one indeed! It hard to tell how thick he was in the pictures, Thats the problem with fishing by yourself, no body's there to help out with the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks len! hopefully someday soon I'll get one of those giants that you always catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. makes your net look small, if you keep your roll going youll need a bigger net?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kev, I've been working for those big fish all season! No doubt there is a little luck thrown in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blake i hope i catch one that doesn't fit in that net! I do have a larger net, but it seems i have better luck when i have the small one along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking fish! Glad you were able to connect.

    Stopped over from the "other" Blake's blog...looking forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete